WRITE FOR US
Write for Video Explainers
Do you want to write for VideoExplainers? You’ve come to the right place. Please read through these guidelines before submitting a piece to our editorial team.
Important note: Our publication queue for how-to articles and opinion pieces is now some four months long; in an effort to reduce that wait, we are compelled to be extremely selective.
If you can’t wait that long, VideoExplainers offers a “Sponsored Article” option: Essentially, the how-to article or opinion piece you sponsor would be published within a couple of weeks; however, it must still meet our editorial guidelines, and it must still be accepted for publication by our editors. Find out more about sponsored articles on VideoExplainers.
What We Publish
Here’s a list of what we publish from guest contributors:
- Daily how-to bylined articles for our website and daily newsletter.
- Daily summaries of research findings based on polls, surveys, and research studies conducted by marketers, academia, PR firms, and other researchers
- Occasional opinion articles (op/ed-type pieces), but we accept only those that offer particularly valuable insights and views that can’t easily be found elsewhere. (Please note: We will no longer have a separate editorial process, or a section in our newsletter, for opinion pieces.)
- Infographics, several times per week
How to Get Your Byline Published on VideoExplainers
We get a lot of submissions. Following these guidelines will increase your chances of getting your article published in MarketingProfs:
- Write from an objective viewpoint and convey valuable how-to information to the reader. Focus on practical advice, actionable tips, and useful know-how about a specific marketing topic or approach to marketing. Bullet points are good. Meandering text is not.
- Use a fresh, approachable voice. You are a person writing for other people. So, sound like one.
- Offer clear takeaways for our (and your) audience—mostly B2B marketers, by the way. And remember that little voice Ann Handley talks about in Everybody Writes: “Nobody has to read this.” Make us want to read it.
- Articles should be at least 800-1,000 words, but no more than 1,200 or so. Feel free to include images, charts, graphs, and the like—but only if they help convey a point.
- Articles should be original to the author and unpublished elsewhere. (Infographics can have appeared elsewhere.)
- Include a brief bio of 25 words, including LinkedIn and Twitter contact info, if available, and a recent headshot (make sure your entire head and neck are in the picture).
- Include relevant links immediately preceding the words to be linked (the anchor text); do not embed the links in the anchor text (but feel free to underline that anchor text).
- Submit articles in Microsoft Word format (no PDF files, please), as email attachments.
- If you submit an article that mentions businesses or companies in which you have a vested interest, disclose as much to us and the audience.
- Send byline submissions to email@example.com. Include “VideoExplainers” byline contribution” in your email subject line.
We will inform you if your article has been accepted for publication; expect to hear from us within a week or two of our having received your email. If we don’t accept your article, you may or may not hear from us, depending on how crowded our inbox is; if you haven’t followed the above guidelines, you likely won’t hear back.
What we don’t publish: We do not publish press releases (but do look at the ” How to Get Your Research Covered on VideoExplainers,” below).
My Article Was Selected for Publication. Now What?
- Your article will be edited for clarity and brevity, and to conform to the VideoExplainers house style.
- We will probably change your headline, too, so you might want to suggest alternatives.
- The author retains copyright and may republish the article on his/her personal or company blog or site after the article has been published on VideoExplainers. In such cases, we ask that you cite VideoExplainers and link to the original article on our site.
- VideoExplainers may also reprint your piece, with full attribution, in VideoExplainers services, including marketing materials.
- We do not pay guest contributors for their articles.
- Our article queue is long, and publication will take 4-5 weeks. (We’re working to gradually shorten publication time.)
How to Get Your Infographic on VideoExplainers
Infographics submissions should include introductory text—about 100-125 words—to help set up the graphic. You won’t get a byline for that text; think of it more as a press release.
If the width of your infographic image is larger than 630 pixels, also provide a second version that’s 600-630 pixels wide. The file size of the larger infographic should be less than 1MB, and the file size of the smaller version should be less than 600KB.
Forward your infographic to firstname.lastname@example.org , and include “VideoExplainers infographic contribution” in your email subject line.